Transparency

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Johnny

Transparency

Post by Johnny » 10 Jun 2019, 15:15

Greetings,

I would like to export an animated clip and add it to my video. I'd like the clip to be "transparent" so that the animated line art can move across the sky already in the video. I see 3 options for the background in TVPaint. One is "color" which is an opaque white and (when I export and add to the video) covers over the sky. The second option gives an opaque checkered pattern and the third gives an opaque black background. How do I make it so the animation can move through a transparent field that will not cover the sky when added to the video?

Thank you,
Johnny

Mac OSX
TVPaint 11/64 bits

D.T. Nethery

Re: Transparency

Post by D.T. Nethery » 10 Jun 2019, 15:46

Johnny wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 15:15
Greetings,

I would like to export an animated clip and add it to my video. I'd like the clip to be "transparent" so that the animated line art can move across the sky already in the video. I see 3 options for the background in TVPaint. One is "color" which is an opaque white and (when I export and add to the video) covers over the sky. The second option gives an opaque checkered pattern and the third gives an opaque black background. How do I make it so the animation can move through a transparent field that will not cover the sky when added to the video?
To export a layer as a video clip with transparency , set the Export to MOV (FFMpeg) , Compressed (RGB-RGBA), RGBA mode ,
UNCHECK Background .
Export Layer to MOV with Transparency.jpg

So, now you'll have your line art as a .mov file with transparent alpha layer.

You can then composite it over your existing video using After Effects.

But unless you need to use After Effects for something else (camera moves ? or other FX ?) , the easier way would be to have your video layer of the sky
imported into TVPaint , then simply copy & paste your line art animation layer into the project which has the video layer to composite it over the video.
Then export the composite image sequence to a .MOV .

MAC OS 10.12.6 , Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch, Mid 2015,
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.0.8, 64bit -
Wacom Cintiq 21 UX - Wacom Intuos Pro 5 - driver version 6.3.20-8

Johnny

Re: Transparency

Post by Johnny » 10 Jun 2019, 15:57

Many thanks for your quick reply! I will try that.
All the best,
Johnny