Cursor switches to an arrow after display toggle

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Harlock

Cursor switches to an arrow after display toggle

Post by Harlock » 23 Feb 2019, 16:17

Hello Everyone,

I’m reaching out to see if someone can help with with this problem.

Very often (1 out of 3/4 times) when I toggle between the Cintiq (which I have set as my main monitor/Desktop) and the other Display (the iMac), when I toggle back to the Cintiq the Stylus dot switches to an arrow and (the worst part) TVPaint freezes like for maybe 20-30 seconds….after that everything gets back to normal and I can keep using the program as usual. I don’t need to tell you how annoying this is, that’s why I avoid as much as I can to toggle between displays and have always my laptop next to me in case I have to check something. Maybe I should mention that I do the toggle using the on screen controls of the Cintiq (Radial Menu).

On a side note, I have another issue which I think it might be related. Recently, I’ve set some tools on the Radial menu (pencil, tint blue, magic blue eraser). If I use the radial menu to select the tint blue and then select the pencil back, the cursor also switches to an arrow (almost every time) and it stays like that unless I click anywhere outside the drawing space, like in the grey border of the panels

The Cintiq Drivers are up to date and Im using the OS High Sierra but this also happened with the previous OS versions. I should also say that this happens even I’m not using iTunes or Youtube on the back, like it was mentioned in the “pen cursor problem”: (http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?t=9839#p91460)

By the way, I tried to record a video to show you better this issues but weirdly enough, the arrow won’t show on them.

Any help to solve or explain this (for me at least) inexplicable behaviour will be appreciated.
TVP 11 Pro (11.0.8-64 bits), MacOS 10.13.6 - Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD

Harlock

Re: Cursor switches to an arrow after display toggle

Post by Harlock » 28 Feb 2019, 11:36

So I'm really alone in this one? I must be beyond hope, I can't figure out this whole cursor switching to an arrow bug. At least now I don’t need to click on the side anymore, as daninski stated in the mentioned thread:
You don't even need to click on the icon, if you just move the arrow over your controls or brushes it turns back into the crosshair”.
The issue with TVPaint freezing after toggle the displays still happens though.

EDIT:

I've just confirm that the "cursor switching to an arrow bug" only happens when Im using the 64-bit version...with the 32-bit version I can toggle to the Cintiq screen controls and after that the cursor remains a point (as it should be).

schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau » 01 Apr 2019, 23:48

No this seems to be a known bug. I got it too, but it seems the devs can't reproduce this issue. TVPaint doesn't freeze in my case, it just doesn't accept the pen, it helps to tip on the tablet/cintiq with the back of the pen.
Mac OS X 10.11.6 / TVP 11.0.8 PRO / Cintiq 22HD
Mac OS X 10.11.6 / TVP 11.0.8 PRO / Cintiq Companion 2
SCHWARZGRAU.COM

Harlock

Post by Harlock » 04 Apr 2019, 10:47

Hello Schwarzgrau, thank you for your Answer. You were right, TVPaint was’t freezing, it was just the Stylus which wouldn’t respond. As you said, if I tip the Cintiq with the back of the pen, that brings the cursor back. It is still annoying when it happens, but is indeed much better than waiting 20 to 30 seconds until the pencil works again by itself, so thank you for pointing that out to me!

Just out of curiosity: Do you also have the other bug with unwanted straight lines at the beginning of strokes?

schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau » 04 Apr 2019, 19:00

Unfortunately not. Or not as far as I know.
Mac OS X 10.11.6 / TVP 11.0.8 PRO / Cintiq 22HD
Mac OS X 10.11.6 / TVP 11.0.8 PRO / Cintiq Companion 2
SCHWARZGRAU.COM

Harlock

Post by Harlock » 05 Apr 2019, 12:16

You should be happy for not having that :D